- Born: Juli 13th 1958 in Mierlo, The Netherlands
- Married, two children
- Full professor in (environmental) exercise physiology, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam
- Director of Sizing Science
- Data analytics in R - Advanced Statistics, 2020
- Ph.D. Medicine, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, 1997, Thesis: "Central and peripheral control of finger blood flow in the cold"
- Medical-Biological Sciences Teaching Degree, 1984
- Post Doctoral Course Computer Science, 1984
- M.Sc. Human Movement Science, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, 1978 - 1984
- Carolus Borromeus College High School Helmond, 1970 - 1978
- Johannes Primary school Mierlo, 1964 - 1970
- Senior teaching qualification, 2020
- Short courses: Project Management Techniques; Result Oriented Coaching; Project Development; Sales Management; Employee Assessment
- Senior Management Development, Bonfire and TNO management, 2006 and 2007
- Giving and receiving feedback, Hofkes Frolke Meekel Organisation Psychologists, Oktober, 2006
- Project management, IPMA, june, 2006
- Competence-based selection of personnel, Hofkes Frolke Meekel Organisation Psychologists, February 16-17, 2006
- Management training for talented TNO employees. Vlerick School, 2000
- 2016 - now Full professor in (environmental) exercise physiology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- 2010 - now Director of Sizing Science
- 2016 - 2023 Director of Master education in Human Movement Sciences, Vrije Unversiteit Amsterdam
- 2016 - 2023 Head of physiology section, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- 2013 - 2016 Professor at the Amsterdam Fashion Institute, Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences
- 2011 - 2016 Principal scientist at TNO
- 2003 - 2016 Professor in Thermal Physiology (part-time) at the Faculty of Human Movement Science, VU University Amsterdam
- 2003 - 2008 Head of the department of Human Performance, TNO Human Factors
- 1998 - 2003 Research coordinator of the Thermal Physiology group; Acting head of the Dept. of Work Environment
- 1996 Collaborative research at the Computerized Anthropometric Research Laboratories of Wright Patterson Air Force Base (OH, USA)
- 1995 Collaborative research at DRDC Toronto (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRDC_Toronto) (Canada)
- 1992 - 1995 Research coordinator of the Workplace ergonomics group
- 1990 - 2016 Research Scientist, TNO
- 1985 - 1990 Research Scientist and manager at the Orthopaedic Laboratory, State University Leiden
- 1985 - 1986 Teacher in Neurophysiology and Computer Science at the Academy for Physical Therapy in Breda and Leiden
Relevant Professional Affiliations
- Member of the program committee of the 10th European Conference on Protective Clothing, Arnhem May 9-12, 2023.
- Chair of the jury for thesis award in human factors, Human Factors Netherlands, 2020, 2021, 2022.
- Member of the jury for most talented student and best thesis, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, 2021, 2022.
- Member of the scientific committee of the 5th international congress on soldiers'' physical performance Quebec City 2020
- Chair of the 2019 International Conference on Environmental Ergonomics
- Lead auditor of Textile research group of Saxion University (dec 2016)
- Chair of NATO Research & Technology group HFM-266 on ''3D body scanning and logistics''
- Member of the advisory editorial board of ''European Journal of Applied Physiology''
- Member of the editorial board of "Fashion and Textiles"
- Member of the board of the International Conference on Environmental Ergonomics
- Member of the board of the WEAR legal body (2003-2013)
- President of the Legal Body for the International Ergonomics Association (IEA) 2006 conference in Maastricht
- Member of the ISO group on (3D) anthropometry
- Member of the International Scientific Advisory Board for the International Ergonomics Association 2003 conference in Seoul and (IEA) 2006 conference in Maastricht
- Member of Cluster 4 work group on Physical Protection of NATO Long Term Scientific Study on Chemical and Biological Defence
- President of the Dutch Ergonomics Association (1999 - 2002)
- Member of the scientific steering committee for the conference Drowning 2002
- Member of Work Group 20 of AGARD AMP on 3D anthropometry (1995-1998)
- Co-founder and Member of the Dutch Association of Exercise Physiology (now: Dutch Association of Human Movement Science)
- Scientific leader of EU project "Prospie", about intelligent clothing for working in the heat.
- Project manager of anthropometric surveys for the Royal Netherlands Air force and Navy, and how to use these data for cockpit design and evaluation
- Author of a biomechanical computer model to calculate the load on human joints
- Author of European patent 08154613.7 ''Method and system for alerting the occurrence of wetness''
- Project manager of NedScan, a Dutch anthropometric survey, part of the CAESAR project
- Author of a book on hypnosis and editor in chief of a book on working conditions
- NATO HFM Panel Excellence Award. 2021.
- Daanen, H.A.M., Hatcher, K., Havenith, G. Determination of clothing microclimate volume. Environmental Ergonomics X, Fukuoka, Japan. 23-27 September, 2002. Best poster award.
- Reducing train costs, best computer program of the month, NOS (National Radio and Television). Hobbyscoop, May 1985.